The Hidden “Side-Effects” of Laughter
– When you laugh out loud you instantly feel good. That good feeling stays with you, even after you stop laughing. Laughter is medicine – every laugh is a “happy” pill that you can’t overdose on!
– Laughter literally melts away stress. When you’re laughing, you’re relaxing and recharging at the same time.
– Need to refocus? Watch a silly video for a few minutes. Taking your mind on a mini-break will help you to accomplish more when you go back to your task.
– Humor changes how you look at a situation and it can help you from feeling overwhelmed. Have a big project to complete? Find something to laugh at before you start.
– Smiling works, too, for the person smiling and the person being smiled at. Even if you have to “fake” a smile, your brain still thinks it’s a positive action and you’ll feel better immediately. And the person being smiled at feels more at ease in a difficult situation.
– Laughter releases endorphins that are the brain’s “feel good” chemicals. They give us a small “buzz” that not only makes us feel great but can also ease physical pain.
– Laughter is contagious – hang out with people that laugh! Spend time with people who have fun and still know how to “play,” no matter how old they are!
– Last but not least, learn to laugh at yourself. Don’t be afraid to share those embarrassing moments! The best way to take yourself less seriously is to talk about times when you took yourself too seriously.
Make it a point to laugh and play every day. Life is short – be happy!