5 Reasons Why You Should Eat Breakfast, What to Eat and When To Eat It
Imagine getting in your car and trying to drive it without gas. You’re doing the same thing to your body and brain if you’re not eating breakfast!
Why should you eat breakfast:
- Provides the brain and body with fuel and energy. If you eat dinner at 7:00 pm and don’t eat breakfast until 7:00 am, you have been “fasting” for 12 hours. You wouldn’t try to drive your car to work with no gas in the tank, so why wouldn’t you eat breakfast?
- It helps you lose weight. People who eat breakfast are less likely to be overweight and more likely to make better food choices throughout the day. When you skip breakfast, you’ll crave high sugary and fatty snacks by mid-morning. Don’t sabotage yourself!
- It makes you happy! How? It restores glucose levels, which is needed for the brain to function. Memory, concentration and mood levels go up, stress levels go down. Food in your belly = a smile on your face!
- It helps you live longer. It can reduce obesity, high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes.
- It gives you a fiber boost. You need about 25 grams/day. A half-cup of Ezekiel cereal (see below) provides 5 grams.
What should you eat? Breakfast should consist of a lean protein, healthy fat, good carb and even some veggies. My recent go-to breakfast is a veggie omelet and a piece of Ezekiel bread or Ezekiel cereal. But you don’t have to eat breakfast food for breakfast! I’ve eaten chicken, brown rice, asparagus and even fish for my first meal of the day. And eat the protein first for maximum benefit.
When is the best time to eat breakfast? Within a half hour of rising or as soon as possible after fasted cardio.
Fuel up, slim down, get happy and increase your energy. Eat breakfast!!!!